Toolamba Bloom Walnut Farm: Photo by TRUphotography

Saturday 21 May 2011

From Toolamba Bloom with Love

Hello folks

I am writing this post from the beautiful and tranquil walnut farm which belongs to my parents-in-law: Toolamba Bloom, the birth place of HUGO.  Think autumn leaves, gorgeous rose garden, rolling green lawns, sheep grazing under a magnificent walnut orchard and a lovely grand house to relax in.  This is the life!  I wish I could spend all my days here on the farm.

My husband and I are having a relaxing weekend with our dear friends Nico and Randy.  We started our morning with a good sleep in and lingered over our coffee and had some home made walnut pancakes!  To make these pancakes, just use a basic pancake recipe and add some walnut oil in the batter before frying.  The walnut oil gives the pancakes a subtle nutty flavour. See my photo below:




Since my last blog I have been given some feed back that my photography skills are somewhat lacking, but in my defence I never claimed to be a photographer or a food stylist (unlike the awesome photos I have posted of the farm by Leslie Cool of TRUphotography).  So in the interest of keeping it real, I shall continue to post the food I make.

Okay, lets get down to business: I want to tell you about HUGO.  HUGO is the brain child of my husband and I.  We think walnut oil is going to be the next big thing and we are determined to bring you our own locally made walnut oil from locally grown walnuts.  There are a number of things that needs to be done before we can launch HUGO (none of which I will bore you with).  The major thing that we are waiting on is a walnut press which has been ordered from overseas and is currently being shipped.  The expected date is around mid June.  It's only when the walnut press arrives that we can get serious.  For now, I hope that you stay with me and continue on this journey and discover more about walnut oil, its uses and health benefits. I will write more about the health benefits of walnut oil in my next post.

It's now time for the walnut fact of the day:

Did you know that walnut oil has 14 times the amount of Omega-3 (ALA) of olive oil?

I have to go now as my chicken roast dinner calls, but I want to leave you with a picture of the decidedly civilised tea party we had this afternoon.  My friend Randy takes her tea very seriously so we were schooled in the proper way to take your tea (ladies, milk first!).


Until we meet again, remember to get the good oil!

Signed,

Your humble Walnut Oil Queen

1 comment: